John Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab- 2023 Internship – System Modeler/Programmer
Do you want to work alongside Engineers who are revolutionizing the combat systems of the future?
Do you want to develop, enhance, or analyze the performance of combat system capabilities to improve response and resiliency of targeting, mapping, mission planning systems, and tactical decision aids?
If so, we’re looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We’re looking for an intern to work in a multi-discipline environment within the Mission Engineering group.
We’re looking for an intern to work in a multi-discipline environment within the Mission Engineering group. As an intern, you will have opportunities to develop your skills in the following areas.
- Requirements development
- Data visualization and analysis
- Integration and test
- Software prototype development
- Full system life-cycle support
- Mission engineering-to-test integration efforts
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you…
- Are pursuing a Bachelor’s degree majoring in Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or other engineering fields and possess experience prototyping software systems.
- Are pursuing a Master’s or PhD degree in Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or other engineering fields and possess experience in design and application of advance algorithms, software development or modelling
- Can demonstrate successful problem solving in a technical area.
- Have some familiarity with programming languages and methodologies.
- Can work effectively in a team environment as well as independently.
- Previous internship/co-op or other work experience, leadership and teamwork capabilities and interpersonal communication skills.
- Have experience or interest in any of the following topics: Software prototyping and/or data analytics or data science and/or quantitative application of systems engineering and/or analyzing system status across multiple levels of abstraction and/or systems design and implementation and/or full system life-cycle and/or possess experience or interest in designing and implementing complex system of systems, integrating and exploiting data from disparate sources in novel ways to form a cohesive picture and/or possess experience or interest to analyze system performance in critical areas, and develop an understanding of the factors that contribute to that performance via regression analysis and/or able to demonstrate the ability to solve complex problems using definable and documentable processes. This includes the ability to relate abstract and practical problems for the purpose of developing common solutions.
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale. Note: When prompted to upload attachments, please include a copy of your college transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable).
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.