Data Center Technician
Our passion for technology is part of everything we do. Along with a team, you will approach complex topics like how we manage the lifecycle of our computing, network, and storage infrastructure in excellent, environmentally-friendly facilities.
- Lenoir, NC
- Moncks Corner, SC
- Lithia Springs, GA
- Clarksville, TN
- Leesburg, VA
- Columbus, OH
- Omaha, NE
- The Dalles, OR
- Pryor, OK
- Reno, NV
Data Center Technician
Role Description (and additional job description)
Google isn’t just a software company. Our team is responsible for monitoring the state-of-the-art physical infrastructure behind Google’s search technology. As a Data Center Technician, you’ll install, configure, test, troubleshoot and maintain hardware (like servers and its components) and server software (like Google’s Linux cluster). You’ll also take on the configuration of more complex components such as networks, routers, hubs, bridges, switches and networking protocols. You’ll participate in or lead small project teams on larger installations and develop project contingency plans. A typical day involves manual movement and installation of racks, and while it can sometimes be physically demanding, you are excited to work with infrastructure that is at the cutting-edge of computer technology.
The Data Center team operates some most sophisticated server, storage and networking systems on the planet. Our teams ensure that our customer service level agreements and availability goals are met while maintaining environmental and safety standards, at scale. We manage data center performance issues and outages to minimize the recovery time from failures, identifying problems while making repairs quickly in emergency situations.
- Repair broken equipment, including servers, networking and storage devices.
- Contribute and lead efforts/projects in the deployment, maintenance and support of current and new data center servers and network infrastructure.
- Lead complex troubleshooting and resolve critical or escalated technical issues over a significant population of affected equipment.
- Configure and troubleshoot OS-related issues on servers.
- Install and maintain switches, routers, and other large scale networking gear. Help test and troubleshoot new server hardware components and designs.
Minimum Qualifications (MQs)
- Experience with troubleshooting, diagnosing, maintenance and monitoring of computer hardware and server hardware.
- Experience with operating systems and networking protocols.
Preferred Qualifications (PQs)
- Bachelor’s degree or technical education in related field
- Linux/Unix desktop support experience, including installation, systems administration and troubleshooting.
- Experience in project management and leadership.
- Experience working within a data center or network operation center environment.
- Experience collaborating and partnering with teams.